Monday, September 16, 2013

...And now we wait....

"My call's been assigned!" That is the text that came across my phone as I was walking out the door to head to church.  Did you know that with technology your ward is able to check the status of a missionaries papers?  Well, you can.  We found this out when a friends son had submitted his papers and was awaiting his call.  Back to the text, these are the words we have waited to hear for the past few weeks now.  A few things slowed the papers down, but Garrett officially has been assigned a mission.  Now we wait till later this week to find out where he will be serving.
And then it hit.  My mind started thinking about the sweet primary children singing We'll Bring the World His Truth.  I am the primary chorister and we are singing this song for our Primary Program this coming Sunday.  These sweet children prepare for the day they can bring the world His truth; my son has prepared for this day.  This song has always been a favorite and has always touched my spirit, but now it takes on a deeper meaning.
My sweet son is going to be a missionary.  Prior to Garrett submitting his papers, he and I had a talk one night.  Nothing serious, I was cooking and he was sitting at the bar.  I explained to him that a mission was his choice, but it would not be a decision he would ever regret.  We talked for a few minutes (mainly I did the talking) and I told him he has a special gift, he can make friends quickly and talk to them as if he has known them for a long time.  He makes people feel comfortable and knows how to relate to others.  I explained how that will help him as a missionary.  I also told him that I am sure there is someone out there waiting for him to bring them the Gospel.  Our conversation did not go on much longer after that.
Fast forward to yesterday, my son is going to go serve the Lord and I couldn't be more proud of him.  He hasn't even left and I already miss him.  But I know that this is something he needs to do and I as a parent need to let him go do this, I want him to go do this.  And the tears that come to my eyes are tears of joy, some sadness because I won't have him here, but I am proud of the fine, young man that he has become.  He is going to make a truly wonderful missionary where ever he is called to serve.
(oh, and when they say your kids grow up fast right before your eyes, they are not joking!  There are many days I would love to go back, freeze time, and enjoy my sweet, little family for just a minute more)

1 comment:

Lindsay and Mike said...

That's so great! Garrett will make an awesome missionary. Can't wait to find out where he's going!!