Monday, November 29, 2010

Tradition and Memories...

A few years ago my cousin invited me along to go cut a fresh Christmas tree in the Uintahs.  We took them up on this offer and had a blast.  Ever since..okay for the past couple of years, we have made it a tradition.  The first year, we cut the cutest tree...evenly proportioned branches, not too much space between the branches but just enough, nice height....overall, it was just dang stinkin' cute.  
Last year, well, we cut a tree.  Let's just say we were in a hurry, which we really were.  We got the tree home, brought it in the house after sawing some of the trunk, put lights on it....well, I just wasn't loving the tree.  It was not so cute.  SO, yep, we went and bought a tree at the tree lot.  
SO, this year, we rented a Suburban.  We figured we would want/need a four wheel drive vehicle assuming that the Uintahs had a lot of snow, which there was quite a bit.  Well...not so a ton, but enough that we need a four wheel drive vehicle.  
Can I tell you, I really am not a huge car/vehicle kind of gal.  For those of you who know me, know that I did not even want a mini-van.  It screams out MOM!!!!  I know.  I KNOW. Yes I am a mom, yes I need a vehicle to haul my giant banjo..harp...yes, the mini van is nice for the kids, but still..oh, and yes, I am grateful to have it, I really do love it, but still, I just never thought of me as owning a minivan. Okay, back to the topic...The SUBURBAN!!!!  I have to say, it was quite nice, comfy, pretty much awesome!  Did you know, it has heated back seats?  We have had heated seats in vehicles before, but never heated back seats.  I must say, the kids LOVED it! 
 Ok, back to the topic..the Christmas tree.  So this year we parked and immediately had to hike up a hill.  We looked and looked..probably for an hour and really did not find anything that we truly liked.  We started looking at tall trees and looking at the upper portion of the tree.  Finally we found a tree, not far from where we were parked that had a nice shape up on top.  So down comes the tree.  We hauled it home and Brent kept throwing out the idea that he may cut a little bit of the upper portion of the tree to leave some of the fullness on the bottom.  Honestly, I didn't give this idea much thought.  He measured the tree to see where he would make the cut..or cuts I should say.  Well, he did it, he cut not only the bottom, but the top!  He brought the tree in and looked at it and was a little bit disappointed that he cut more than he planned off the top.  So, he suggested a tree topper.  Last night we bought a tree topper, a store with a coiled base that is placed on the top of the tree.  Well, we put it on today, well.......I am not quite impressed.  It does not look so good.  Brent's suggestion, cut some of the branches to make it taper...sort of give it a haircut, but this would be called a tree cut. HAHAHA!  Ummm, I don't think so.  So...I don't really want to, but I may end up going to the tree lot an buying a tree again.  Really, this option does not sound so fun.  I kind of like this tree, it is kind of cute, kind of sparse on branches, but it is still cute..it is just missing a top :(  A friend offered a suggestion, put a bow at the bottom of the star.  That is an option.  But as I sit here looking at the tree, I look at the top and look at how the branches are longer on top, the tree sort of looks like...hmmm...like maybe it should continue out of my roof!?!  There are just no smaller branches that taper to a top.  UGH...it looks like I may be visiting a tree lot later in the day.  
As for the tradition of cutting a tree....I think it will continue.  It is a fun family activity; hot chocolate, sledding, and playing in the snow.  I really do want to find that cute tree again.  I don't want to keep killing trees.  Okay, it is Brent and Garrett that killed this tree.  Well, Brent really did once he cut the top of it off.  Love you Brent :) xoxo...Next year, maybe we will try a totally different area..at least take the other road to a different location to look for our Christmas tree.  I guess it is all about traditions and making memories that the kids will remember.  I guess this will be one of those memories that they will remember.
here is the tree in is natural elements

Brent started the tree killing..I mean cutting


Garrett taking his turn (oh, and I was just a second late at taking the picture after a huge clump of snow fell on his head out of the tree)
3 trees on top of the Suburban...the tree that you can see the top, yea, that is my tree...that is what the top looked like before it was chopped off.
Oh, close up pics of the tree...well, maybe later, I just didn't have any to show you.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

What if you made a "gift" as the tree topper? Wrap a box as a gift, cut a hole in the bottom and put it on the top? May help with the weirdness of the branches.
I just can't believe this is the second year the tree isn't quite working out. Maybe Brent shouldn't be allowed to but trees anymore ;)

Lindsay and Mike said...

Sounds like a fun tradition. Sorry about the tree issues. No fun. I'm sure it's not as bad as you think though. I am always hard on myself with things like that, but if I were to walk into your house & look at it, I would probably think it looked great.