Yesterday, Brent and I took the kids to Music and the Spoken Word before going to church. I love to hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing - especially when they are accompanied by the Orchestra on Temple Square. We almost decided not to go yesterday since we had a late night the night before, but it was a fun night. So yesterday when the alarm clock went off - we never heard it and needless to say - it was turned off. 8:00am rolls around and Garrett and Parker and getting back home from their paper route and ask if we are still going to SLC. We wanted to leave at 8:25, this meant that we would have to skip showers. Brent and I contemplated back and forth as to whether or not to go, can we get ready in time, maybe we should go. Finally I decided that we should go since I have four concerts to get in for my music class within the next two weeks. So we quickly get out of bed and get ready. We were out of the house by 8:35.
Okay, so let me go back a few days ago. My mom had asked me to go with her and my dad to the Dr. in SLC. I went to pick them up, but prior to leaving my mom took my dad's blood pressure. The blood pressure was sky high yet the pulse was only 30. The Dr. he was going to go see in SLC said that maybe he should go to the ER and get that looked at. We, my mom and I, along with my dad, head to the ER. Long story short - my dad had a pacemaker in by the end of that night. The Dr. had said, along with his eye Dr. had said that had he waited to go to the ER and had this shot that he needed first the shot could have had adverse effects on him. This shot he was going to get can lower the pulse - that would not have been good.
It is funny how the Lord works. He is always watching out for us - even at times when we don't think he is. Sometimes we wonder why he does the things in the order he does, but it is only when we have gotten through our trial and look back can we see why he did the things he did and created the stepping blocks for us along the way.
At this time of year, the season of thanksgiving and gratitude, not only am I thankful for my family, but I am truly grateful for the Lord and for his loving guidance he gives us; for his protection.
Okay - so back to yesterday (sorry to jump around) - back to Music and the Spoken Word. I am so glad that we made the decision to attend. The Spirit was so strong and the message of gratitude was powerful - which I will share below. But it is amazing how music can bring the Spirit into our lives and touch our hearts.
I will admit that there are some weeks in which I do not like all the songs that they, the Tabernacle Choir, are singing. But yesterday was not that day. Each song dealt with gratitude and thanksgiving. But to top off the half hour my favorite hymn was sung, accompanied by the Orchestra on Temple Square. Combine those to get a very powerful and emotional Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.
I am thinking, maybe each Sunday should be like this Sunday!
Anyway, I have included a copy of the message that was given by Lloyd Newell - who does that hosting for Music and the Spoken Word. I found the message to be a great reminder for not only this holiday season but for every day.
I have been told that I can be too optimistic, too Pollyannaish, but you know, I think it is far better to be that way than the alternative. When you are down and look at the glass half empty that is how you will see life. You will lose that feeling of gratitude and thankfulness; you lose that feeling of love.
I hope we can always view the glass as half full and keep that feeling of gratitude, thanks, and love in our hearts each and every day.
Daily Gratitude and Thanksgiving
Delivered By: Lloyd D. Newell
A few years ago, two researchers conducted what they called the Research Project on Gratitude and Thankfulness. They found through science what most of us know intuitively: gratitude makes people happy.
For the study, several hundred people were divided into three groups and asked to keep diaries. The first group listed the day’s events in their diaries, the second group recorded any unpleasant experiences they had during the day, and the last group made a daily list of things they were grateful for.
The researchers found that the simple act of taking time each day to count your blessings makes a person more enthusiastic, determined, optimistic, and energetic. Those who expressed gratitude experienced less depression and stress, exercised more regularly, and made more progress toward personal goals. Researchers even noted a relationship between feeling grateful and feeling loved, and they observed how gratitude inspires acts of kindness and compassion.1
Remarkable, isn’t it? All this from daily gratitude and thanksgiving.
Of course, the best way to discover the benefits of gratitude is not by observing them in an academic study but by experiencing the miracle for ourselves: When we daily count our blessings, we feel better about life, even in the midst of adversity; we garner a strength of character and largeness of soul that will help us through hard times; and we see life as basically good, despite its challenges and heartaches.
Gratitude does not need to be reserved for holidays and special events. Every day is filled with miracles and blessings. If we open our hearts and look, we’ll find reasons for gratitude and thanksgiving each day, all around us.
3 comments:
I really like the pollyanna side of you -- brent too -- it has rubbed off on your children. Way to be great examples.
I, too, am an eternal optimist. I know people who are the exact opposite and they are never happy with what they have. It's sad. Thanks for the message, that was great!
Glad your dad is okay! I can't believe you woke up at 8:00 and were out the door by 8:35...holy cow!
Post a Comment