Sunday, March 29, 2009

Yummy!!!

I hate, Hate, HATE, HATE with a passion Macaroni and Cheese in a box!!! I cannot express how much I detest that stuff - except if you put a can of chili in it it is actually palatable. Anyway, I really do not like the stuff in the box. Which translated to, if I hate that Macaroni and Cheese of course I would hate all other Macaroni and Cheeses.
Well, I received in the mail my Real Simple Magazine - awesome magazine by the way. But on the front cover was a picture of what else? Macaroni and Cheese. Except, there is a twist, it contains cauliflower and has a bread crumb topping. This looked good and I had to try it. So I decided a few weeks ago that I was going to try this. This macaroni and cheese had to be better than that other stuff, right? Well, it was, it was delicious! So I am going to share the recipe, I did do some of my own tweaking in which I will put in parentheses.
Oh, and if you kids are like mine, when they saw me cutting the cauliflower they did not want any part of this, it automatically looked and sounded disgusting - and my kids normally love veggies. But when it was done cooking, they of course ate it and could not tell the difference from the cauliflower and the noodles, so it IS kid approved!


Macaroni and Cheese with Cauliflower

12 ounces multigrain elbow macaroni (I used a bag of regular elbow macaroni)
1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped (I chopped it in small pieces - only to disguise it)
4 slices multigrain bread, torn
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
1 onion, finely chopped (I caramelized my onion after chopping it)
1 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar (6 ounces) (grate your own cheese - it melts better, is not gritty, and has better flavor. AND - you must use Extra Sharp, better flavor)
1 1/2 cups reduced-fat sour cream (no low fat stuff - lacks the flavor)
1/2 cup 1 percent milk (skim works as well)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (I used regular mustard, next time I would leave it out all together)

Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the cauliflower during the last 3 minutes of cooking time; drain.
Meanwhile, pulse the bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add the parsley, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and pulse to combine; set aside.
Return the pasta pot to medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, just until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Mix in the pasta, cauliflower, cheese, sour cream, milk, and mustard.
Transfer to a shallow 3-quart baking dish, sprinkle with the bread crumbs, and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/macaroni-cheese-cauliflower-00000000008063/index.html#

3 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

Sounds way yummy! I may actually get my children to eat veggies if I hide them in mac n cheese!

Jenie said...

That sounds yummy! I made a healthy mac and cheese for my cooking group that is on my blog from last year. I love trying new things and I will try this one for sure. Thanks for sharring!

The Swensons said...

Sounds good! I will have to try that sometime.