Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What to blog about?

I go through phases..okay, it's all the time, I just don't know what to blog about.  Sure, I could blog about:
Garrett going on his first date (which was homecoming).
Garrett getting asked to a Halloween Dance and how he was asked/and how he answered.
Me auditioning against myself this Friday for the orchestra and band (why would you need a harp in band, I don't know, but oh well).
Madi going to her first Daddy/Daughter Dance (she was so excited!)
Parker and his love for animals and his newest pet...Salazar (I think that is his name) the Salamander.
Homework...homework...and more homework.
Brent and his travels (I had to include him since I had listed everyone else :) ).
But you know what?  I just don't feel like blogging.
I think I know why.  Yep, they say the first step is admitting you have an addiction.  So with that said, I have an addiction.  I am addicted to Facebook.  Not only am I addicted to Facebook, but lately it has been Farmville!  Okay, I don't spend every waking hour on farmville, but just think, the time I spend on Facebook and Farmville, well, I could probably be more useful doing other things.  Oh, like....HOMEWORK!!!  Now, who wants to do that?
Tonight I was watching Modern Family and I laughed.  It reminded me so much of my family.  They would admit it, but Madi was laughing with me.  It started out that the son was playing his handheld video game player at the table while lapping his breakfast up like a dog.  The mom pointed this out to her husband (who happened to be sitting next to his son) and the dad congratulated his son!  The mom then said that they were going to go without electronics for a WEEK!  Of course, the children complained.  The oldest daughter asked what was in it for her, because heaven forbid you go without texting your friends..gasp!  She asked for a car! The dad agreed to a car.  The mom about died when he agreed, but he knew full well that she would not be able to last a week.  Well, one by one the kids started to give up for various reasons...needed access to the internet to do homework and various other reasons.  The mom (who had this brilliant idea of no electronics for a week) well, she was trying to get some help with some airline tickets she booked, but she was talking to a person over seas.  The laptop was sitting right there, no one was around, no one would know if she went on it, right?  So what does she do?  Yep, she opens it up and the volume is turned up and says, "You've got mail!"  Right then her husband walks in on her.  She tried to defend her actions, but still she caved.  This meant it left just the dad and the daughter....long story short, the dad nearly caved, but his wife would not let him since a car was at stake.  Anyway, they hear the daughter on the phone and they rush up to her room to hear her saying she would send a text to her friend.  The mom and dad rush in and proclaim that they knew she couldn't do it.  The dad said he won and immediately sits down on the bed and opens the laptop.  The daughter was quite disappointed in him because only seconds after winning he is on the laptop, and this is where the story turns.  The daughter says she did not lose and tosses her parents her "phone."  It is not a phone, it is a bar of soap she has carved into the shape of her phone and painted to look like her phone. She won!  Of course, the parents can't live up to their agreement since they were not planning on purchasing her a new car.  They tell her it should just be the shear satisfaction of knowing that she can do it, go without electronics for two day.
That was a long post for not really knowing what to blog about, but I guess I just found humor in this.  Because I think so many families can relate to this.  I look at my oldest and I am not sure he talks on his cell phone, I think he converses with his friends by texting.  I know I am guilty of this as well, but I will talk on the phone.  Parker would be the one sitting at the table lapping the cereal while playing on his iPod.  Madi, she would probably cave as well because she had homework to do and it could only be done on the computer.  I am not sure I could survive for a week..a day, yes, but a week?
Earlier this year our Stake President issued a challenge to use to go without electronics for a day.  We did this challenge as a family (it helped that is was on a Sunday as well).  But the mood in the home was more peaceful and the kids were...gasp...nice to each other (no really, they usually are, I promise).  I don't know that forced is the word to use, but right now that is all that I can think of, but we were made to come together as a family and do things together.  So we built a puzzle.  It was a lot of fun and even the kids commented on how nice of a day it was.
I know that I cannot ban electronics, we depend on them far to much in our house.  But maybe I can ban them on Sunday. (I will start out small...I'll take a lesson from the show :)).
So can you guess what I am going to go do now?  Do you think I have learned my lesson after writing this post?  Well yes, I did learn my lesson, but I am going to justify it..Brent is out of town, it is 12:45 and I am not in bed and I need something to keep me entertained...Well, so did you guess what I am going to go do?  I am going to go harvest my pumpkins on Farmville and check updated statuses (because you know, those updated statuses help me to sleep better).

1 comment:

Lindsay and Mike said...

Haha! This post made me laugh. I don't think I could make it a whole week either.