Monday, April 21, 2008

The fun of flying!!!!

Okay, so if you fly with me, Heidi, plan on about 2 hours to go through security. Each time I go through security my name must pop up and say, "SEARCH HER BAGS!!!!!" Now I am glad that security is there and that they are doing their job, because it is much better then the alternative, but.... Every time I fly lately, I swear they pick on me. If you have a few minutes, keep reading, sorry for the long post by the way.....


So, Brent asked me earlier in the week if I wanted to go to Couer D'Alene with him. I thought that sounded fun, so I asked if I could get the day off of work. I did not have school, at least sitting in class at Weber, but I did have an assignment due in my most FAVORITE (NOT) class....Nutrition. I do not like that class. Honestly, nobody told me that math and science were going to be involved. If I wanted to figure out how much fat I was consuming in those Girl Scout cookies that I just ate, I would look on the box. I am not going to figure out the percentage of calories to fat, to time consuming, in that amount of time I could have eaten...oh, maybe a package of Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies. By the way, did I tell you I do not like Nutrition!!!

Okay, sorry for the rant, I just do not like nutrition.
Oops...it slipped. Okay back to my TSA story. I swear, now my name will really be on their list after this post. GO TSA...You are doing a great job!!!
Okay, so I am taking with me my laptop - to do my homework, a big, red purse that has a blow dryer and my very large round brush and a smaller round brush and a wide tooth comb. That is it. Oh, and I had thrown my bag of makeup in a zip lock bag, but mind you, nothing in it is liquid. It is all powder. And I did have my bag with liquids. I also had my pink purse with me. Go through Salt Lake screeners - no problem, except I needed to put my pink purse in the red purse since I had to many carry-ons, I was told. Next day - Friday - we are leaving Spokane (that is where we flew into), "Ma'am, are you traveling with someone?" Now I have Brent's Ziploc bag, which is really more of my stuff, in my bag - so I have a total of two and my makeup, which has no liquids. "Yes, my husband." "Well. you are only allowed one quart size container." "Ok, was my reply, which really I only did have one, because the makeup is not liquid, it is powders!!!!
Okay, we have a layover in Portland, so we decide to rent a car for an hour an a half and go for a ride. Silly, I know, but it was fun. The lockers were closed due to high security, so I had to pack my bags with me. On the way back in, go through security once again. This time, I leave my makeup in the bag, it is powders and really, it does not need to be out. The only exception to this bag is now I have a couple of brown paper bags from Hampton Inn that each had a muffin, a fruit/cereal bar thing, and an apple, that is it, oh and a thing for the GPS that Brent bought at REI in Spokane. He says, that is why we went on this little outing, only for that reason, whatever.
Okay, I hate nutrition, by the way if I forgot to tell you that in oh let's say the past, 3 minutes.
Okay, we return the car, go through security. My makeup is left in the red bag, along with my purse, which I left in at Spokane as well. Remember, we are now in Portland- layover, we went for a ride.
"Ma'am, is this your stuff?"
"Yes."
"Well, I need to search it. Step over here with me."
"Okay."
He is really examining the makeup really closely, maybe he will find something incriminating, or so he thinks. "This ma'am, should be in the bag with liquids, it is a cream." He is showing me my concealer. Okay, so I forgot there is a very small bottle of concealer.
He goes through the red bad and pulls out the pink purse, looks at the brown paper bags, and that is it. Now we need to rescreen the stuff. This time the pink purse is out and it goes through on its own.
"Ma'am, I need to go through your purse."
Are you joking me? No I really did not say that, but I wanted to. "Okay."
Now, I cleaned my purse out before we left for this very reason. He pulls out Garrett's check, my checkbook, my wallet, oh wait, what is this...takes out this small, innocent looking box, oh the size of 1in. x 1/2in. x 1in. It is a small box of mints that you get at Hampton. He is looking all around them, they are sealed still. I explain they are mints I got at the hotel. "Oh, well, they looked as though they could be matches."
"Oh," I say, never would have thought that. Besides they rattled to much. Okay back to the search. Pens in the bottom, gift cards on the pockets, lipstick on the bottom, keys on the bottom of the purse as well, wait, what is this? He pulls out a Scion keychain that is rectangular and says Scion on it. It has my gym pass and a beauty store card on it. He is examining this reall closely.
"You know ma'am, this looks like it could be a knife on the x-ray machine when it is laying down. The next airport you go in you may want to get rid of it or not take it."
Now I am loading my purse and say,
"Well. you are the first airport, and I have already been through three others prior to you in the past twenty-four hours, but you are the first to say anything about it or go through my bags like this." I did say this very friendly by the way, I was nice, do I look mean?
"Well, I am just doing my job and there are a lot of security here and cops and military people here."
"Thank you," I say and off I go to head home.
Oh my word, now I know they are just doing there job, to which I am glad, but each time, and this is not the first, my bags get searched.
So, my dad's idea was to take some, and I am going to be very discreet here there are boys - my children and a girl, but she will just think I am meaning girl clothes, some girly clothes and see if he blushes. I think I would blush just as much.
Oh well, I am glad he was doing his job, but next time, I am just going to go through naked and take nothing with me that way I have no reason to be stopped...lol.
No, but I feel that way. I really wish that they were more consistent, if one did it then they all did it. Oh well, I guess we are not all perfect and we could say the same about many other things as well. Sorry for the long post.
TSA you rock!!!!

3 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

Haha! I'm laughing so hard! :) Sorry you had such a trial going through security. I guess you look kind of shady or something! Just kidding! :)

meegz said...

I can just see you smiling through your sarcasm!!!:) Glad you could enjoy your trip - minus the security check!:)

The Swensons said...

So here's my email address for when you get a chance to email those pictures (no rush) - ashlee.swenson@hotmail.com. It was so fun to see you guys last night! Thanks for coming, even though it was incredibly spur of the moment! (That's just how we typically are...)