Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Argument Letter

I am taking an English 2010 class this semester. I am slightly out of my comfort zone, since it is on argument. Brent will say that this is the perfect class for me since I like to argue, which I would agree, but for some reason when I am told I need to write an argument of some sort I have a hard time.
The first assignment in the class was to write a letter to someone (the part on sending it, I am not sure, but it had to be a letter) that we felt strongly about. We had to state our reasons that we do not like what they do, state the opposing side and then try to find a solution, all in a letter, and it had to be three pages. We had two weeks, what do I write about? It was quite funny because as I was thinking what I should write about, Kirby Heyworth was on tv, well the news. He is the LDS actor that did a beer commercial. Justifying it that he has a family to support. Sorry, I am not buying it dude. So I told Brent, maybe I would write a letter to him (not like he was not going to receive a million). I disagree with his reasoning that he needed to make money and advertising beer was the only way to do it. Then I decided, nah, that starts to cross the politics and religion issue that we were warned about - not taking them on as a topic to write about for this assignment.
Crap, back to thinking what to write about it. I have already told you I was a procrastinator, yet the topic was was what I was thinking about days before it was due, but it does not mean that I did my paper ahead of time though. "I got it!" I told Brent, while we were driving in the car. "What is it that I am always complaining about and really hate and it really, really bothers me?" I asked.
"The animals at Lagoon," he replied.
So I have my topic. I cannot believe that I did not think of it earlier. So first, if I offend anyone, these are my feelings, I am sorry, but I really do not like the Wild Kingdom at Lagoon. Yes, I ride the train, but when we get to the animals I am not shy about telling my kids or Brent or those with us how I feel about the animals and the way that they are treated - enclosures that are to small, habitats that do not suit the animals, a bear does not live on concrete and in fear of his life every time a train rolls around. You see, one time a train driver blew the hot steam on the bear as it drove past, ever since then the bear will run next to the door to get into the building. - Okay, sorry for that rant.
Well the teacher was impressed with a couple of letters, mine being one of them, as she posted it for the other students in my class to read. Here is the letter if you would like to read it. (Just so you know, I am not a member of PETA, I do like to go to the circus, I think if you can afford a fur coat then more power to ya - but there are some issues on animals that I would support).

To Whom It May Concern,
What would it be like to spend time in a room for 24 hours a day with very little to do to occupy your time? Imagine this room not being very large in size, possibly eight by eight feet and not having any privacy. What would you do to solve this problem; to find more spacious quarters, find something that could entertain you when you wanted to play, also an area to escape to be able to free yourself from the public eye, and most importantly, some place that is always clean? One question that arises and can be a follow-up to these questions is what makes a good zoo? First, I think it depends on how you look at a zoo, are you pro-zoo or are you anti-zoo? I think the answer lies in the treatment of the animals. Is there adequate food? Are the animals allowed to live in conditions that are unsanitary and unclean? Do they live in and sleep on concrete? Do the animals have a place to roam that is adequate for their size? I feel as though the animals in captivity in your Wild Animal Kingdom are forced to live in substandard conditions, in areas that are not clean, cages that are too small, cages that do not allow the animal to escape from the peering eyes of the public.
“Captivity can be hell for animals meant to roam free. Kept in small, barren cages, forced to sleep on concrete slabs behind iron bars, animals often suffer from malnutrition, loneliness, loss of independence, and even lack of veterinary care. Attracting customers is the first consideration, and the animals' welfare is often the last (www.wildlifepimps.com).” Animals were not meant to be kept in changes that are unclean, too small, or sleeping on concrete; areas that do not represent their natural habitat.
I understand the appeal of the Wild Animal Kingdom and other small zoo attractions such as yours. I can see where parents and children would be enthralled to be able to see a bear less than ten feet away, as well as zebras, camels, elk, buffalo, tigers, and cougars. I, too, have been through this exhibit many times bringing my own children to see the wild animals. It breaks my heart to see the animals living in conditions that are not up to par; conditions not designed for them.
There has been much debate on whether animals have rights and for which organisms do we, as humans, decide what their rights will be, and if they are going to be the same for each animal or different? One widely accepted idea is, “The capacity to suffer and enjoy is a right conferring characteristic.” (B. Scarlett, 1979. www.zoo.org.au pg. 5). Animals do suffer, they do feel. Have you ever swatted your dog on his nose or rear end to reprimand him for bad behavior? Through this we can see that an animal feels, the dog will usually let out a yelp; we are able to tell that they have suffered some sort of pain.
I realize many say that zoos play an important and vital part in helping to rehabilitate animals and well as helping increase the population of animals which may be are the endangered species list. I know that this is the positive aspect of many zoos. These zoos, I believe, are also the ones trying to make the animals have a better life. They are trying to let the animals live in an environment closer to their own with larger cages and more space to roam. Many times there are additional animals of the same species allowing those animals the ability to learn how to behave with animals of their own kind. Zoos also play an important role in educating the public, they usually provide information on the animal to let you get to know it better; where it came from, what it eats, longevity, and how big it can get. These zoos are the zoos that are following the laws that were made under the Animal Welfare Act that was established in 1966, laws that were written to protect animals from harsh and cruel environments. Laws that help give animals their own voice, their own rights.
In doing some research, I was able to locate numerous violations that Lagoon Corporation has received. I am sure that I do not need to point out what they were since you are well aware of them, but these violations stemmed from failing to meet minimal federal standards for the care of the animals that are displayed. The USDA has sighted you numerous times for failing to provide veterinary care to animals when they were sick or dying. You have been cited for filthy enclosures that were filled with feces in which animals food was placed upon the ground for them to eat. You were cited as well for employees that were inadequately trained. Lastly, you were cited by the USDA for failure to provide animals with minimum space to move around. Which brings me to the point that was made earlier, how would you like to live in a small enclosure for 24 hours that was not clean?
I understand that it can be a daunting task to know what to do with these animals, because they are not able to be released back into the wild, and would an animal sanctuary take them? But as I thought about it, I wondered if you have ever considered expanding your Wild Animal Kingdom? No I do not mean add more animals, what I mean is expand the animals cages, land of the Wild Animal Kingdom into space extra space that you currently have? Also, this would allow you to provide more shelter for them, and provide them an area to roam. I also wonder, if an answer to the violations and citations that you have had would be to partner with the Hogle Zoo and enlist their help in taking care of the animals. This would be a win-win situation for you. You would get to maintain your Wild Animal Kingdom but you would be able to have experienced animal handlers taking care of your animals, and you would have access to veterinarians that specialize in dealing with wildlife, so they would know what to look for and how to take care of these animals when they became ill. There would not be that responsibility lying upon Lagoon to hire and train teenagers in how to handle the animals and care for them. Lagoon would benefit from those that have the expertise of handling wildlife.
I am not a member of any animal rights activist groups, but as a concerned citizen and visitor to your park, it concerns me when I see animals living in such deplorable conditions. I would hope that someday you would be able to correct the conditions that these animals are forced to live in and make their environment more suitable for living.
Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Heidi

4 comments:

McBride Family said...

Aw! I'm glad you looked me up! And what a neat page, I always hear about your family and either trains or cars in the same conversation! Now we will be able to keep in touch (and with pictures is always fun!(

The Swensons said...

Well written! You should become an English major. (Oh wait a minute, then you would be in the ranks of dorks like myself! So maybe not...) I honestly had never thought about those animals before, and it was really sad to read all of that! I really think you should send it to Lagoon. It might do some good, you never know?

Lindsay and Mike said...

You have made me a believer!

meegz said...

Nice arguement!:)