So I was talking to my brother tonight, when he called I answered, "oh, so you want to buy my couch and the daybed and you want to pay more than I am asking?" His reply was, "What?"
So I repeated myself and explained that I was selling these items. I told him that I have them on KSL classifieds. He asked what I was asking for them and I told him.
Really, I am not asking that much for them. He then asked if I had "had any calls on them?"
To which I replied, "I had."
I told him I was surprised that nobody wants the couches, they are about 10 years old but overall in pretty good condition. But I said maybe it was because of the color or style.
So then I told him about the bed, Madi's bed. I told him that it was about 20+ years old, same mattresses that I had on when I used the bed. The bed has a trundle, but the bed is in good condition, better than what some people are selling theirs for, which are similar. Yada, yada, yada....So he asked what I was selling it for, and I told him. We made a bet that - no money involved, at least not that I know of, but he thinks it will be less and I think it will be close to what I am asking. He does not think a person buys the bed for the frame, but because of the mattress...we shall see. We will see who is right.
But I tell him that I need to list these items on craigslist.org as well, and if that fails, then they go on freecycle. I just want them gone so I can get carpet.
Okay, to let you know, our plan is to get rid of the major furniture and buy new furniture as soon as the carpet gets put in.
So, I tell him that I have already gotten rid of the boys bunkbed. To which he laughs and asks what they are doing for sleeping arrangements. I tell him sleeping on the floor. Now Garrett and Parker were all for this when we told them what we were doing. IKEA has the beds that I want to get for the boys, but first I want carpet. I have the carpet purchased, I just need to paint. Everything is waiting on the paint. The boys that this would be great. They were excited, until Thursday when the beds disappeared and they slept on the floor. It is not like they have never slept on the floor before, either. They do it quite often. Except now, they are being forced to sleep there. Garrett wakes up the next morning, "I had a horrible night sleep." Here is how caring I am, "get a grip, you guys were all for this when we told you what we were doing." Next night, Parker's turn to complain, I guess Garrett realized he was not getting any where with me, so Parker says, "When are we buying beds?" Once again, caring mom to the rescue (not), "We told you the plan, as soon as your bedroom is cleaned we can paint and then when we have carpet you get a bed." Honestly, we have no idea when this is going to be completed, like I said it all depends on the paint.
So, my brother laughs and then I tell him later that day I sold our kitchen table. Brent listed it for $100. Who in their right mind would pay that much for that table. So, earlier that day I lowered the price to $25.00. Someone got a screaming deal. I just wanted it gone. Seriously. When we bought this table it was brand new, we put it in the kitchen, well the house we were renting did not have any sort of air conditioning or swamp cooler, that was until the landlord put in a swamp cooler in the window next to the table. Well, it warped the top of the table. Things we down hill from there. Slowly, this table has collect paint on the table top, it has had hot pans set on it and discolored the table top. So I have kept a table cloth on this very attractive table...lol. So, Thursday afternoon a lady calls me and is on her way to look at the table and buy it. I sold the table. The boys bed disappeared earlier that day, the kitchen table disappeared that evening, along with the chair - oh they were scratched and one did not even match.
So, now I have Madi's bed left to sell and my love seat and sofa. I want to get rid of the cuddlebag (a love sac thing) but nobody else will let me. At first Brent wanted to get rid of it and I would not let him, now it is reversed. The kids want to keep it. It is huge. Takes up a lot of room. Oh well, I guess it is staying. When the couches are gone, I guess it will give us something comfortable to sit on.
So, if you are planning on coming over to visit, either do it soon, while I still have a couch and love seat or it is going to be BYOC (bring you own chairs) or BYOTT (bring your own t.v. tray).
The goal is new furniture.
So my brother asks, after hearing this story and laughing at everything I have sold or intend to sell, if I have money for furniture. "Well, yea, I guess."
To which he replies while he laughs, "you guess!?!"
"I am hoping, there is money, and I am shopping around to make sure I get a good deal on what I want, but we will see, if I run out, I guess I am saving money for what I want."
But you know, my kitchen seems bigger without a table. The boys room is messier without a bed and they sure do have a lot of crap, I mean stuff. When my couch and love seat are gone the family room will feel larger and so will Madi's room when her bed is gone. I guess I am liking this downsizing othing.
So he, my brother, told me that I need to blog about this because how many people sell most of their furniture to paint and carpet? I am not sure, but I know I am, with Brent's approval. And maybe, just maybe, this will motivate me to paint.
Gotta go. Will post more on the progress. Oh -windows were put in, we went with no grids in the windows, and I really like them. Will post pictures of this later.
1 comment:
You are a brave, brave woman! Good luck with the remodel! BTW, we were at my mom's house the other night & were looking through old pics of Grandpa (Thoresen). We found a picture of him as a little boy that looks JUST like Parker! I'm not kidding! I had to do a triple take!!!
Post a Comment