I have kids, especially one in general, that are notorious for talking in their sleep and at times walking in their sleep. We, meaning Brent and I, are usually able to coax many things out of them. I guess what I am trying to say, we can carry on conversations with them when they start talking. The minute we hear them talking in their sleep, Brent, but sometimes I, will rush back into their bedroom and try to find out what is going on and then will egg the conversation on even further.
But, not only are the conversations great that we can get out of them, but when they start walking, it is even better. Let me give you some examples, they do come from a while ago, but still they are some of our favorites. Brent and I are night owls, but one night we are sitting on the couch when Parker stumbles out into the family room. He was clearly asleep by his look. We looked over at him, and now he is heading into the kitchen. Brent and I look at each other and ask, "Hey pal where are you going? Do you need something?"
There was no reply, so Brent gets off the couch and heads into the kitchen to see what he is doing and Parker is proceeding to pull his pants down, he says, "I need to go to the bathroom."
You see, he thought the pantry was the bathroom. "Wait a second, wrong room, this way," Brent says. He turns him around, they walk out of the kitchen and back to the bathroom.
We had a laugh that night.
"I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake."
~Author Unknown
But then, he is starting to head down the stairs. Could he be asleep? I realized he was, and now I was a little bit concerned as he walked down the stairs, since that is now where he is heading. So I am following him. As I reach or catch up to him, he is proceeding to open the door that heads into the garage. He did make it out into the garage, which is dark by the way. "Where are you going?" I ask.
"To the bathroom," he said.
"Wait, wait wait, this is the wrong way. Come with me, let's go back upstairs," I said. So I lead him up the stairs trying incredibly hard not to laugh.
I go back downstairs and tell Brent what just happened. It was the funniest thing. I still wonder if the two of them would have ever come if we would have let them do their thing, but I doubt it.
So, last night, Brent went to close the boys window when he hears Garrett mumbling. "What was that?" Brent asked.
Blah, muh, blah, da,bluh, ring, bluh, blah, muh," Garrett said.
"Oh, the ring, where is it?" Brent asked.
"Adam and Jacob (these are his friends) they have it," he said.
Well, this went on. Garrett is heading into the family room now, with Brent following and asking questions about this ring that Adam and Jacob have. Garrett is now looking around the family room for this ring. Finally he heads back to his room and heads to bed, but still going on about this ring that Adam and Jacob had, and now with Alex (another friend) involved.
I have noticed, when Garrett comes back from camp, he really starts telling the stories during his sleep.
Last year he sat up in his bed and was feeling around his bed for something. Once again we were in there to see what was needed. Brent asks Garrett, "what are you looking for?"
"For, for, that thing," Garrett said.
Brent started naming off "things." After naming off about a dozen "things" and they were not that Garrett was looking for, Brent asks Garrett if he is looking for the broom and the dustpan to clean the tent.
Garrett says, "yes." So Brent said here you go. He pretended to hand him something, but all it was was air.
Garrett starts sweeping his bed, when in reality he was still just feeling around his bed, going through the motions.
We have realized when the kids start talking in their sleep, as long as we do not laugh we can keep them going and going.
Madi is not much of a talker during her sleep, nor a sleep walker. She is just a very, very deep sleeper.
Oh, nights are so worth it at our house when we catch them talking! Then when we can retell the kids the story, it makes it so worth it. Now we just need to keep a video camera handy when they start talking and walking in their sleep.
3 comments:
wow, that is fabulous! never a dull moment! do they believe you when you tell them? Do they know what they were talking about?
That is so funny! Lucky you guys were around when both boys were headed off to the bathroom... :)
Haha! I used to be a sleep walker & I am STILL a sleep talker! My parents would do very similar things with me when I was little...they had a blast with it! Now, Mike does the same thing! Apparently, we've had entire conversations in the middle of the night that I remember NOTHING of! Haha!
Post a Comment